I find the Teaching Literacy textbook an interesting but frustrating read. Perhaps it is because I have not read many textbooks that incorporate such person opinions in such academic ways. To be honest it throws me off a little bit and I struggle to get into it. In Chapter 7 they talk about the goo-enough teacher. One of the examples is about Sarah. The authors say she is a good-enough teacher, but when I read the case about her I do not know if I would call her a good-enough teacher. In my opinion she sounds like a fantastic teacher who truly cares about the success and well being of her students. I don't no how I feel about this term the good-enough teacher. I understand that they are not referring to her this way in a negative connotation but to refer to her as just good in my opinion is not appropriate. They call her the "all-time favorite" teacher and that she is always experimenting and doing innovative and exciting things in her classroom. Everything the chapter says about Sarah proves that she goes above and beyond everyday to create and inclusive classroom for her students. One that facilities their learning and encourages them to become active thinkers and life long learners. Sarah reflects on her experiences in the classroom and is self-critical of her teaching. To me, all of these characteristics are demonstrating the kind of educator that most beginning teachers strive to be. She reflects on her teaching, encourages her students, genuinely cares about their well being and success in the future. I understand the chapter is trying to emphasize and promote the good-enough teacher. Yet, I find the term they use, although intending to be positive, comes off as ironic and almost mockingly. Maybe I am focusing to much on the simple term they use to describe the teacher but I just feel like its far from the most appropriate term.
I found the whole passage about Sarah quite refreshing though you hear so much negative feedback and stories about lazy teachers only interested in their summers off. Its lovely to hear about the good ones who still have a true passion for teaching!

I agree with you that the Teaching Literacy text is frustrating to read. A textbook that has so many personal stories is not something I am used to and I always find myself wanting to skip over the personal stories and have them get to the point. When I read the section on the good-enough teacher I had the same thoughts that you did. When I first read the term it seemed to me to mean that the teacher was adequate and did what was necessary for her job but no more than what was needed. However, the way Sarah is described as a good-enough teacher is completely different from this. She sounds like a great teacher that puts in a lot of time and effort with her students. This confused me because the term had made me think it meant something different from the way that they described it. So I agree with you, I do not think it is the most appropriate term to use.
ReplyDelete