Friday, 4 November 2011

Critical Encounter Chapter 5

I really appreciate the way that Appleton does says that feminist/gender theory provides a lens where students can interpret life and literature. I think that often students and society in general often steer clear of the issue pertaining to feminism because of the stereotype that I think Appleton cleverly articulates. She says that people often equate feminism with unfemininity. In my opinion this is a very accurate description of the way many young women nowadays see femininity. When I think about the girls in my co-op classrooms if I told them we would be talking about feminism and gender theory they would immediately go on the defense. I don't say that I blame them and it is in no way their fault that they feel this way. They are simple uneducated about the important reasons for feminism and how important a feminist lens can be in literature. They are stuck in the mindset that if feminism is brought up in the classroom and they show a bit of interest or agreement that they will be immediately labelled a man hater. The boys immediately slip into a "zombified" state and shut out the rest of the class because they think it will be the same man hater mentality. I really think that figure 5.1 in the textbook and the explanation of the activity is exceptionally accurate in demonstrating my above point. Gender biases and labels are still a massive issue in society and our youth are being given the difficult task of trying to succeed and prosper through these labels. The worst part for them is that society expects them to be knowledgeable and unbiased when it comes to these issues which is such a difficult task. That is why I really appreciate Appleton's theory of feminist theory as being a lens, not a label. This allows the students to become more diverse and critical thinkers and enables them to interpret many different modes of literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment