Monday, 21 November 2011

Critical Encounters Chapter 6

In chapter 6 of Critical Encounters I found the section on 'The Origins of Post colonial Reading' quite interesting. Before reading this I knew what Post colonial literature was by definition. However, I wasn't really clear on what the true point of the ideology was. I found this passage very interesting and insightful because it gives a deeper definition of the concept. I found one sentence in particular very effective in expressing the overall goal of post colonial literature, "The movement that we now call post colonialism was both an invitation and a recognition" (87). I think it is important to include the recognition component of that sentence. I think that in society we get quite caught up and concerned with the inclusion of First Nations peoples but do not properly recognize them. I personally think their is a sense that including Aboriginal people is enough to warrant recognition, but that is simply not accurate. I found the entire passage very  insightful because it gives a very detailed account of post colonialism. For the most part this text is very dense and complicated but this chapter was a lot more accessible to the reader in my opinion!

No comments:

Post a Comment